It’s official, Easter’s less than a month away and if I was looking for a another reason (not that I need it) to get baking, this would be it. Seems like the perfect match if you ask me… I love baking + I love chocolate = (insert heart eyes emoji)!
Easter truly would not be Easter if these babies didn’t make an appearance. I have already whipped and eaten (not by myself!) the first of two possibly three batches of these cupcakes. They are some what of a tradition in our household and go hand in hand with hot cross buns. I have been making them for as long as I can remember – thanks Mum for starting me on these little gems!
These cupcakes are a chocolate lovers dream – a caramello egg inside a yummy moist chocolate cupcake topped with plenty of chocolate buttercream and finished with some Easter goodies (just for good measure). Best served and eaten – as soon as possible; or kept under lock and key and given as gifts.
The base of this recipe is my go to chocolate cupcake / muffin recipe, I love how moist, rich and chocolaty it is. It is great on it’s own topped with a few chocolate chips, bite sized (but then you have to eat a couple) or stuffed with a yummy surprise – a mini caramel Easter egg. After Easter when the caramello eggs are no long available – squares of caramel chocolate work a treat as well.
These cupcakes make the perfect Easter gifts too, just imagine how cute they would look nestled in a noodle box amongst some Easter straw and tied up with some pretty ribbon. I think they would be a hit amongst grandparents and if you get your little ones to help, even better!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 100 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup yoghurt* (approx. 2 pottles)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 mini caramel Easter eggs
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius or 180 degrees fan bake and grease and /or line a 12 hole muffin tin
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Melt butter, once cooled add egg, yoghurt, milk, and vanilla mixing until smooth
- Add the above wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined
- 1/2 fill each muffin tin, place an Easter egg in the centre and top with remaining batter
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or 15 minutes fan bake
- Cool before icing (I like to use a butter cream) and topping with more Easter goodies
- * I like to use chocolate diary food as it adds to the richness of these cupcakes
- ** If choosing NOT to ice these cupcakes then you can top with chocolate chips before placing in oven
What’s your favourite go to recipe at Easter time?