Today is December 7th which means it is MY turn to share some Christmassy goodness with you. In case you missed it I have teamed up with 11 amazing Kiwi Mummy Bloggers, in the “12 Days of Christmas” blog collaboration. This where each day for the first twelve days either myself or a fellow Kiwi Mummy Blogger will be sharing a Christmas themed post e.g. Craft, DIY, Inspiration, Recipe or Family tradition (how exciting is that!!)
Below is a full list of all the fabulous blogs / bloggers taking part in the collaboration, so you can see who’s joining in next and also check out who’s already posted. Take it from me, you don’t want to miss a post – there are some real goodies!
I love the smell of gingerbread – to me they smell and taste just like Christmas giving off all sorts of warm, cosy vibes. I imagine they are prefect when paired with a mug of steaming, hot cocoa (perhaps not so perfect for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere; but for those in the North that is just the scene I can imagine). I am a firm believer that anything that adds to the festive season gets a big tick; so this year I decided when making my usual Gingerbread Cookie recipe to turn them from Gingerbread Men or People into Gingerbread Reindeer Cookies. I also tend to think anything with the word cookie added to it sounds and tastes even better, don’t you?
Of course you don’t have to make your Gingerbread Cookies into Reindeer; you could totally use this recipe to make Gingerbread Men / People – making this the perfect Gingerbread recipe for year round use. As far decorating goes there are multiple options… You could decorate as below in the recipe with chocolate and lollies; decorate before cooking using M & M’s and chocolate drops (they hold their shape better); and / or ice and decorate when cool. In saying that gingerbread doesn’t just have to be eaten at Christmas, and this recipe would be perfect all year round.
Now, there is nothing written in concrete that says you have to have to be a child or have children to make Gingerbread Cookies, you just need to embrace your inner child and creative side. Go on, you know you want too!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 150 grams butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line baking trays with baking paper
- Sift flour, baking soda and ginger together in bowl or food processor. Add brown sugar
- Add butter; either rubbing in with fingertips or pulse in food processor to form fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and stir or continue pulsing to combine. If necessary add a little more flour if mixture is too sticky. Wrap in GLAD cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Roll out on lightly floured surface or between two sheets of baking paper (less mess) until 5 mm thick. Use gingerbread men cookie cutters to cut out shapes, place on lined baking trays. Ball and reroll leftover dough until all used up
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until cooked and golden. Remove and cool on a wire rack
- Once cooled flip upside down so they are standing on their heads and decorate with melted chocolate and lollies to look like reindeer
*** For loads more Christmassy inspiration, hop around and visit the fabulous bloggers below ***
Day 2 (2nd December) – Mummy Do It
Day 3 (3rd December) – Sweet Mama M
Day 4 (4th December) – Lisasaurus
Day 5 (5th December) – Girl on a Mission
Day 6 (6th December) – Misses Mac
You are HERE with ME —> Day 7 (7th December) – Always Made With Love
Day 8 (8th December) – Dorothy Nada
Day 9 (9th December) – Mrs Cake
Day 10 (10th December) – Nesting in the Country
Day 11 (11th December) – Outdoorsy NZ
Day 12 (12th December) – A Kiwi Mumma