Growing up I fondly remember spending countless Summer days at the beach – whether it was playing on the grass, building sand castles or actually going in for a swim, sometimes (more often than not) all of the above. With the recent weather bomb we have had over the country, I know most of us are still waiting for Summer to arrive but let me tell you, it will get here and when it does I for one want to be ready.
Funnily enough, whilst I don’t really care for the wind and rain (I know it’s good for the garden and ducks); I actually don’t mind it being overcast and slightly cooler for trips to the beach. Granted there is no swimming, but you never need it to be roasting hot to build sand castles and collect shells.
Now those who are parents, they will totally understand me when I say going to the beach with children has a whole new meaning! And whilst it is lots of fun, it is also messy, read: SANDY!!! and takes a bit more organisation than just grabbing a towel and jumping in the car.
Pssst… Want to WIN a $50 Banana Boat Prize Pack to get your Summer started? Enter at the bottom of this post!
Below is my ‘Go Bag’ so to speak for the beach. I like to keep all of the following in one of those flexi tubs (you get from The Warehouse) in the back of the car so we can head off to the beach on a whim. The only thing we really need to add is snacks and I generally have them on me when we are heading out.
- Towels – for the kiddies I like hooded towels, they make it really easy for after a swim (just strip their togs off, plonk the towel on) and they are good to go – dried and ready to play in one easy swoop. As for me, I really like the round beach towels, they are just so versatile – perfect as a towel or even a picnic blanket!
- Hats – I am big on sun protection as I have two very fair babies (they inherited my Irish complexion, not Daddy’s Chinese / Maori / European mix); this means they only have to look at the sun and turn into little lobsters. So hats that give all round protection are a must. In saying that, Sebastian has recently found caps and trying to get those off his little head is a battle not worth having, so hello Banana Boat!
- Swimwear – Cute swimwear that covers is also important. Isabelle is rocking a little tankini and Sebastian is in boardshorts and a rash shirt for added sun protection. Isabelle actually wears her hooded towel a lot at the beach so she isn’t exposed as much to the sun either.
- Buckets and Spades – a must for a trip to the beach if you ask me. We nabbed a couple of cheap sets for the kids from Kmart for $6 or something ridiculous. Anyone else have memories of making HUGE sandcastle creations as a child? Clearly their size is a matter of interpretation.
- Footwear – I love jandals for myself at the beach, however, when it comes to the kids I love those little sand shoes (aqua sock things?!?) as they can go straight from playing on the beach, to the water and vise versa with no worry of stabbing shells, bee stings or hot sand on little feet.
- Drinks and Snacks – Need I say more! We tend not to go the beach right on lunchtime – ‘sand sandwiches’ anyone? However, I do like to pack their lunch boxes (Sebastian has this one) with snacks and nibbles to keep the hunger at bay after a busy beach visit of running, jumping, playing and splashing.
- Sun Protection – This summer we have been giving the new Banana Boat SunComfort a go and I couldn’t be happier. This unique sunscreen protects, moisturises AND allows sand to brush off easily – Win / Win / Win if you ask this Mumma. I mean seriously, a sunscreen that allows sand to brush off easily means less sand in the mouth (Isabelle) and definitely makes heading home a breeze without taking half the beach with you. Banana Boat SunComfort is available in an SPF 50+ lotion and spray, which are water resistant for up to 80 minutes. I love starting the day with the lotion, (it’s perfect for Preschool), slathering it in nice and thick; followed up by two hourly top ups using the spray.
There you have it my ‘Go Bag’ for Summer at the beach with kids. Thanks to the awesome team at Banana Boat for making this post possible; they have given me a $50 Prize Pack to giveaway to ONE lucky Always Made With Love reader, which includes the new sunscreen. To enter simply Comment ‘go ahead, get sandy’ below – it really is that easy! Make sure you’re following Always Made With Love on Facebook! For EXTRA entries –> Simply like and comment on this Facebook post. Sharing is NOT a requirement but always appreciated! Giveaway closes Sunday 19th February, 8pm NZT. Terms and Conditions available here. Open to New Zealand residents only. Good luck!
Congratulations Heather (commented on this here blog post) you have won yourself a $50 prize pack from Banana Boat – long may Summer last! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange delivery of your prize