Spring is finally here and the school holidays are upon us again, which means we are on the downhill run to Summer ***cue happy dance*** So, what better time to get in the kitchen to whip up something yummy that reminds you of Summer; you could totally whip these goodies up with the kids; or even set them up to make them for you. 😉 In fact, they would make the perfect school holiday activity ***hint, hint***
So… Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches, anyone?!?
These Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are every bit decadent as they sound. Creamy vanilla ice cream, topped with roasted strawberries, sandwiched between two warm, soft and chewy double chocolate chip cookies; I mean seriously – yum!
Now, I don’t know about you, but.. I feel there is a certain way to “eat” an ice cream sandwich. To me the cookies need to warm, soft and slightly chewy; the ice cream needs to be slightly melty (if that’s even a word) and as for the roasted strawberries – they are just the perfect summery addition, they also help to cut through the richness.
Pssst… Want to WIN a $50 Chelsea Prize Pack to get your baking started? Enter at the bottom of this post!
- 225 grams unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Chelsea White Sugar
- 3/4 cup Chelsea Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)
- 2/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate drops or chunks (I used a mix of both dark and white)
- 2 punnets strawberries
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup Chelsea White Sugar (approx)
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and line a cookie sheet with grease proof paper
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition before adding vanilla
- In a separate bowl; flour, espresso powder, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix in a third of flour mixture at a time to sugar mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks
- Drop heaped dessertspoonfuls onto baking tray (taking time to make them roughly the same size and shape). Press gently to flatten slightly
- Bake for 10 - to 12 minutes, remove from oven and cool
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line baking dish with grease proof paper
- Wash and dry strawberries, remove stalks and cut in half (quarters if they are extra large), spreading in a single layer
- Sprinkle with sugar, and toss to coat gently
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, strawberries will darken in colour and starting bursting with delicious syrup
- Cool before transferring to a jar (don't forget all the syrup) and keeping in the fridge ready for those ice cream sandwiches
- Place a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream on one of your double chocolate chip cookies. Top with some of the roasted strawberries and another cookie. Eat straight away!!!!!
- Disclaimer: these Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are incredibly bad for you but in an incredibly good way. They are all sort of deliciousness in one bite and are incredibly messy to eat - but well worth it (at least my household seems to think so!)
These Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are going to fast become a family favorite. In fact everyone will be lining up to eat them straight out of the oven. And if not, you can always make them ahead of time, pop them in a airtight container until you need / want them. Just ensure you pop them in the microwave a couple at a time for 10 – 20 seconds to make them all warm, soft and chewy, they are seriously the best eaten this way!
Personally, I think baking is the perfect school holiday activity – I mean who doesn’t like eating deliciously baked goods fresh from the oven and / or licking the bowl. And thanks to Chelsea Sugar they have a range of sugars and syrups for every occasion. Why not check out their website for inspiration and recipes?!?
What do you reckon? Do you think these Double Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are something you would give a go? If you do, I’d love to see them, share your creations using #chelseasugar!
**Giveaway now CLOSED** Enter simply by commenting below with which Chelsea Sugar product you would most like to use in your school holiday baking. Make sure your following Always Made With Love! For EXTRA entries –> Simply like and comment on Facebook.
Giveaway closes Sunday 9th October, 8pm NZT. Terms and Conditions available here. Open to New Zealand residents only. Good luck!
**Thanks to Chelsea Sugar for teaming up with me on this post and bringing you lots of sweet baking inspiration these School Holidays**