It feels like forever since I have shared any sort of recipe with you so today I though it only fitting to break the dry spell and start the week off right with something yummy. Not just anything yummy mind you but with cake. More importantly or MOST importantly with birthday cake!
Of course, cake can be served at any occasion, in fact as far as I am concerned you don’t need to have an occasion to serve cake you can go right ahead and have it. However, there is one cake which is up there; one cake which always is special; which is always a special occasion (and rightly so) and that is birthday cake!
I love cake, but birthday cake I love even more.
There is something about this cake and the combination of raspberry jam and chocolate chips which give it a ‘mud cake like’ flavour without the density. It is rich, moist and decadent. And when smothered in chocolate butter cream icing, just divine! Of course, you can ice it with whatever icing you prefer, personally, I just think chocolate butter cream goes perfectly.
- 125 grams Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Castor Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Raspberry Jam
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Milk, warm
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius; Grease and line a 22cm round baking tin
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each
- Beat in vanilla and jam
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa. Dissolve baking soda in milk
- Add dry ingredients and milk mixture alternately
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Spoon into tin and bake for 40 - 45 minutes
- When cold, ice with chocolate icing (my favourite is chocolate butter cream)